My favorite vanilla cupcakes. For the times you just want a good classic.
I was asked to make cupcakes for a friend last weekend. I couldn’t wait to see what flavor she wanted, chocolate, red velvet, caramel…my mind was racing. Then she simply said, “vanilla..”. I paused for second, I’m used to getting more complex flavor requests. But to be honest I became even more excited because vanilla is one of my favorite flavors but sometimes I feel that it is so underrated.
A truly good vanilla cupcake should be buttery, sweet and vanilla (of course) notes should be very prominent. And for the buttercream, in addition to what I just mentioned it should be smooth, creamy and melt in your mouth.
We chose to keep the color palette white, no food coloring for these. However I was amazed to find in my small town grocery store Sweet Tooth Fairy cupcake kit including sprinkles. It’s not too often I get to actually find a custom sprinkle mix in my neck of the woods so I grab ’em (paid for them of course lol).
If you have ever baked with good vanilla you know that the house smells sweet and fragrant, it’s almost a tease of what’s to come. As the cupcakes are brought out of the oven I keep checking to see if they are cool enough to try one. The wait is torture. But when the time finally comes the taste is glorious. However in my world you cant have a cupcake without buttercream.
My favorite buttercream is Swiss Meringue Buttercream. There is no substitute for its smooth, silky texture and not too sweet flavor. It pipes beautifully and has a pretty sheen to it.
When it came to decorating I did a combination of piped designs. I have to say though that I am still a sucker for buttercream that is piped tall and ruffled. When I was a kid no one decorated cupcakes, all the moms just used a knife a spread the buttercream on. No complaints they were mighty tasty. But a cupcake with mile high buttercream means more frosting for me, lol!! And with these pretty little sprinkles I felt like each cupcake was wearing jewelry 😉 .
So if you love vanilla like I do or are in the need for a delicious go to cupcake recipe, this is it!
Interested in more cupcakes?
White Chocolate Strawberry Filled Cupcakes
Candied Pecan Banana Cupcake Recipe
PIN FOR LATER! Thanks.
My favorite Vanilla Cupcakes
- 2 sticks butter room temp.
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 cups sifted cake flour
- 4 eggs room temp
- 1 cup buttermilk room temp
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tsp vanilla extract
- Seeds from 1 Madagascar Bourbon vanilla bean
- 5 egg whites
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 lb butter room temp
- 1/2 Tbsp vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line muffin tin with liners.
- In large bowl add in the flour, baking powder and salt, mix to combine.
- Cream the butter.
- Add in the sugar, mix until light and fluffy.
- Add in one egg at a time, mix completely.
- Add in the flour mixture and buttermilk alternating each.
- Add in the vanilla and vanilla seeds.
- Mix completely to combine.
- Pour batter into muffin cups.
- Bake 25-30 minutes, or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Remove from oven, let cool completely.
- In medium sauce pan add the egg whites and sugar.
- On medium heat you are going to whisk egg mixture until sugar is completely dissolved (you can test it by rubbing a small amount between your fingers to test it, it should be completely smooth).
- Remove from heat and let mixture cool. (If mixture is too warm it will melt your butter when the time comes).
- Transfer to mixing bowl and with whisk attachment whisk on high until stiff peaks form and mixture is completely cooled.
- Switch to paddle attachment.
- On low speed add the butter one piece at a time.
- Increase mixer to medium/high speed and mix until buttercream forms.
- Add in the vanilla, continue mixing until completely mixed in.
- When cupcakes are cooled pipe frosting onto each cupcake and sprinkle with sprinkles.
- I used Wilton tips: 1M and 2D
Kelly | Foodtasia says
Stacey, these cupcakes are just gorgeous! The piped frosting and sprinkles are so pretty! Vanilla is the perfect flavor and with those vanilla beans in there, I can just image how lovely they taste!
Thanks Kelly! They are a tasty treat 😉 . Take care.
Kathy @ Beyond the Chicken Coop says
I have a college friend who always wanted just a scoop of vanilla ice cream. We’d be in an ice cream shop with all these flavors and she wanted vanilla! There is something so wonderfully delicious about vanilla. These cupcakes look lovely!
Hi Kathy! lol, nothing wrong with that! Thank you so much 🙂 . Take care.
We have a bunch of springtime birthdays in our family…I know I’ll be visiting your blog to help me out! 😉 My husband’s favorite is vanilla!
Hi Annie! Can never go wrong with vanilla 🙂 . take care.