Banoffee Cake. Moist banana cake, layers of dulce de leche, fresh bananas and toffee crumbles.
Ok so this isn’t typically what we associate Banoffee with. As delicious as a Banoffee Pie is this cake is every bit as delicious if not more so. The over all look of this Banoffee Cake is quite the show stopper as well!
HOW TO MAKE A BANOFFEE CAKE:
- Bake your cakes. I like 7 inch cake pans which for this recipe give nice thin layers. You can use 6 inch cake pans just adjust the bake time accordingly (probably a few more minutes as layers will be slightly thicker). If using 8 inch pans reduce number of layers to 3 and adjust bake time accordingly.
- Make your buttercream. I used a vanilla Swiss Meringue Buttercream but American Buttercream will work fine to if preferred. You will have extra buttercream left, store in fridge for future use.
- Slice your bananas.
- Dulce De Leche, my favorite part. I went the easy way and bought my Dulce De Leche. I used the canned version which can be found right by the sweetened condensed milk. Easy peasy and super delicious.
- This cake is all about the layering magic of flavors.
- Cut off the round tops of cakes if need be.
- Lay first cake layer on cake plate/board (add a bit of frosting underneath to hold the cake in place).
- Spread a thin layer of buttercream over the cake layer making sure to go to the edges and then pipe a band of buttercream around the edge. This will keep the dulce de leche in place once added.
- Scoop and spread dulce de leche over the thin layer of buttercream.
- Arrange sliced bananas on top of the dulce de leche.
- Stack the next cake layer on top of the first.
- Repeat steps 3 thru 6 with the remaining 3 layers.
- Stack slice bananas on top of the cake. Sprinkle outer top edge with chopped Heath candy bar. Drizzle with dulce de leche.
- Optional: You can swipe extra dulce de leche around the buttercream as shown in the pictures. I used a small offset spatula and wiped it around each buttercream layer.
BANOFFEE CAKE TIPS:
- Dulce De Leche spreads best at room temp. If too cold it will not spread easily.
- Make sure your bananas are ripe but not mushy.
- Heath Bar – I prefer to chop the Heath candy bar myself. The prepackaged toffee bits are delicious but they seem to be a little softer and stickier when eating. I find the toffee bars are a little crunchier and melts away as you eat it. I also like the little bit of chocolate coating.
- Cake should be served at room temp so all the filling is soft.
If bananas, dulce de leche and toffee are your thing then this cake is for you!
LOOKING FOR MORE BANANA RECIPES?
Banana Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Buttercream
Candied Pecan Banana Cupcake Recipe
Banana Cake With Brown Sugar Buttercream
PIN FOR LATER! 🙂
Banana cake, dulce de leche and toffee crumbles
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 large eggs room temp
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups mashed ripe banana
- 1/2 cup milk room temp
- 5 egg whites
- 1 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups unsalted butter room temp
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 can dulce de leche (can be found by the sweetened condensed milk)
- 3 bananas sliced
- additional banana slices
- dulce de leche for drizzling
- chopped up Heath candy bar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.Grease, flour and parchment 4 - 7" cake pans.In bowl of mixer add in all the dry ingredients. Add in the eggs, oil and vanilla, mix until just combined.Add in the bananas and stream in the milk.Mix until just combined and batter is formed.Pour into prepared cake pans.Bake for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let cool completely.
- In large sauce pan add the egg whites and sugar.On medium heat you are going to whisk egg mixture until sugar is completely dissolved (you can test it by rubbing a small amount between your fingers to test it, it should be completely smooth). Let mixture cool to room temp. (if not completely cooled your butter will melt)Transfer to mixing bowl and with whisk attachment whisk on high until stiff peaks form. Switch to paddle attachment.Add in the salt.On low speed add the butter one piece at a time and the vanilla. Mix until well combined, smooth and creamy.
- 1. Cut off the round tops of cakes if need be.2. Lay first cake layer on cake plate/board (add a bit of frosting underneath to hold the cake in place).3. Spread a thin layer of buttercream over the cake layer making sure to go to the edges and then pipe a band of buttercream around the edge. This will keep the dulce de leche in place once added. 4. Scoop and spread dulce de leche over the thin layer of buttercream.5. Arrange sliced bananas on top of the dulce de leche.6. Stack the next cake layer on top of the first. 7. Repeat steps 3 thru 6 with the remaining 3 layers.8. Stack slice bananas on top of the cake. Sprinkle outer top edge with chopped Heath candy bar. Drizzle with dulce de leche. 9. Optional: You can swipe extra dulce de leche around the buttercream as shown in the pictures. I used a small offset spatula and wiped it around each buttercream layer. You can refrigerate cake but take out at least an hour before serving as its best served room temp.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Leave a Reply