Chocolatey Fudge Cupcakes. Moist, fluffy, pillowy cupcakes in a swirl of fudge chocolate frosting. Decorated in fresh berries and crisp meringues.
After an indulgent holiday I have been on the straight and narrow eating path. Salads, smoothies, veggies, etc. I knew it would only be a matter of time before my cravings got the best of me lol. Originally I was craving citrus but just couldn’t get the recipe I had in mind to come out right and least not to my expectations. Thats when chocolate starting talking to me, yes it really does talk to me (coo coo, coo coo). Anyways I started going from light citrus thoughts to rich, creamy and decadent chocolatey fudge cupcake thoughts.
These Chocolatey Fudge Cupcakes are exactly what I was needing and if I had to guess what a lot of you have been needing to. These are so damn good I had to give the majority away because I would not stop eating them. Believe it or not I don’t want to completely blow all my cleaning eating works. I just needed a little something to keep me going and it came in the form of Chocolatey Fudge Cupcakes. You ever feel like that? If you can just have one indulgence you can continue with your healthy plan? Thats where I find myself this week.
But enough about me… These Chocolatey Fudge Cupcakes have a light crumb and are pillowy with a deep chocolate hue and flavor. The cupcake is then swirled in a rich, creamy swirl of chocolate frosting. The fresh berries (which are optional) add a wonderful freshness to the chocolate and the little meringue cookies are not only adorable but add a little crunch! Each bite literally melts in your mouth and any craving you may have has been completely satisfied!!
Whether you have cravings, need to indulge or are in the need of the next best Chocolatey Fudge Cupcakes. This recipe is it!
Here are some of the products used to make this. Whether you are interested in buying through the link or just want a visual of what to look for see below. (Please note some of the links below are affiliate links which means if you purchase from the link I get a small commission. I use these products and stand behind them which is why I chose to tell you about them. Thank you for your supporting this blog. )
FORGOT TO PIN IT? Here it is! Thanks.
Recipe adapted from Hershey’s.
Chocolate Fudge Cupcakes
- 3/4 cups + 2 Tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup +2 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 canola oil vegetable oil will work to
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup boiling water.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2/3 cup cocoa
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 egg whites
- 3/4 cup sugar
- pinch cream of tarter
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- food coloring of your choice I used purple and green
- Fresh blackberries and raspberries
- Merignue kisses
- Melted chocolate for drizzling about 1/2 cup
- Gold sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake pan with liners (this recipe will make 20-24).
- In the bowl of mixer add in all the dry ingredients.
- Add the egg, oil, vanilla, milk, mix on medium speed 2 minutes.
- On medium speed slowly stream in the boiling water (batter will be thin/watery).
- Mix until fully combined scraping sides of bowl and mixing again as needed. Make sure you scrape bottom of bowl, sometimes batter sticks to it, you want to be sure all the ingredients are well mixed together.
- Pour into prepared cupcake pan(s).
- Bake 13-15 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let cool completely.
- Melt butter, add to bowl of mixer. Stir in cocoa. With mixer on low/med add the powdered sugar alternating with the milk.
- Add the vanilla, mix until combined.
- Preheat oven to 225 degrees F.
- Line baking sheet with parchment.
- In bowl of mixer with whisk attachment mix the egg whites until frothy. Add in the sugar 1 tsp at a time while mixing on medium. Add in the cream of tarter and vanilla
- Increase speed and mix until egg whites are glossy and hold a stiff peak (but not dry).
- Color as desired (optional). If using 2 colors you'll need 2 piping bags, etc.
- Fit pastry bag with desired tip and fill piping bag with meringue.
- Pipe onto parchment lined baking sheet.
- Place in oven, reduce temp to 200 degrees F.
- Bake 1 1/2 hours (or until meringues are dry to the touch and release from the parchment easily).
- Cool completely. Store in cool, dry place.
- Put a generous dollop of frosting on each cupcake and swirl it around.
- Add berries and meringues.
- Repeat until all cupcakes are done.
- Drizzle them with melted chocolate.
- Add sprinkles
Yep – chocolate talks to me too! I bet these melt in your mouth! Love them!
Thanks Annie, glad Im not the only one 😉 . They definitely do!! Take care.
Ashika | Gardening Foodie says
lol I am glad that your thoughts chose the chocolate path, you just cannot fight it….these look AMAZING and the recipe sounds absolutely delicious. I cannot wait to try.
Hope that you are having a great week Stacey and thank you for sharing this beautiful recipe 🙂
Hi Ashika! Thank you very much! Chocolate always wins. Take care.
oh my! I am sooo ready for these. Tired of salads – I need these right now 🙂 They look soft and fluffy and chocolatey. Just perfect 🙂
Hi Marie! Thank you! Agreed, salads are starting to wear on me (and I love salad). Everyday needs a cupcake 😉 Take care.
These cupcakes are so stunning!! Love the fresh berries and meringue cookies used for the garnish!! You manage to take such stunning pictures Stacey!
Hi Deepika! Thank you so much! The garnish was one of my favorite parts ;-). So glad you like these. Take care!
Oh my Gosh! These cupcakes look simply awesome… Pinning 🙂
Thank you Puja! Im thrilled you like them! Take care.
Oh what a vibrant and lively display I sight on your blog. The clicks are just mesmerizing. I adore anything chocolate and these cupcakes seem to have my name written all over them! Also I am just starting out with my baking blog. Here is the link. https://greedyeats.com/ Have a look if you get a chance. Thanks. 🙂
Hi Neha! Thank you very much! Chocolate can’t be beat. I checked out your blog and you do wonderful work, I’ll be visiting again 🙂 . Take care.
Thao @ In Good flavor says
Somedays I need just a few bites of a sweet treat or something crunchy and salty so that I can feel better about having to eat light. These cupcakes look amazing! They are so chocolatey and rich, and I LOVE the berry and meringue topping!!
Hi Thao! Yup, that little bit of “something” can help keep you on track! So glad you like the cupcakes, the topping was was one of my faves. Take care.
Katherine | Love In My Oven says
Coo coo, coo coo! Haha this made me laugh out loud. Chocolate is always whispering in my ear too! Even when I’m eating very healthy, I usually have to sneak in a square or two per day. These would definitely nip that urge! They look so fudgy and delicious!
Lol Im glad 🙂 . Exactly, there’s just something about chocolate. So glad you like the cupcakes. Take care.
I’m always in need of chocolate fudge cupcakes haha. They look amazing. Nice dessert after lunch right? Or for any time of the day to be honest. I personally love having a cupcake with my morning coffee. Thanks for sharing this recipe!
Thanks Paul! Nothing wrong with cupcakes for breakfast ;-). Take care.