White Chocolate Strawberry filled cupcakes. We’re talking white chocolate strawberry buttercream on top of a strawberry puree filled cupcake!!
Aren’t cupcakes just the cutest? I’m a huge lover of cupcakes, anything that is individually wrapped, portable and all mine just makes me smile. Added plus, no fork or plate necessary 🙂 .
I wanted to make a cupcake that was a little special so I thought of the flavors that I love and strawberry and white chocolate came to mind. Break down time…
White Chocolate Strawberry Filled Cupcakes:
- Delicate sweet white cupcake – the perfect base for any flavor!
- Fresh strawberry puree filling – Of course there are no fresh strawberries growing in Michigan right now so I used frozen but they have that fresh flavor just the same.
- White Chocolate buttercream swirled with more strawberry – If you’ve never made a white chocolate buttercream go do it now! White chocolate makes any buttercream more lucious. This buttercream has strawberry in it and therefore tastes like strawberry, however, I would not call this a strawberry buttercream as the strawberry flavor is light.
- Sprinkles – Have fun with this! I used SprinklePop’s “Romance” mix for these. I rolled just the bottom edge of the buttercream in the sprinkles and then put silver dragee’s on top. (note if you want the silver dragee’s on top of all the cupcakes like I show photographed you will need to order additional dragee’s. The Romance mix does include silver dragee’s but not enough to top 24 cupcakes as they are usually just an accent).
Buttercream note: I found when I added the white chocolate that my buttercream got softer, this was because even though I cooled my white chocolate there was still a little warmth to it. Nothing melted but it did soften. I put the bowl in the fridge for a 1/2 hour (not too much more you dont want it to get hard). This cooled the mixing bowl so when I mixed the buttercream again it helped stiffen the buttercream right up.
Filling note: You will be cutting a small circle of cupcake out of the center. You will then fill with strawberry puree. The pieces of cutout cupcake will be place backed on top of the cupcake and slightly pressed down. It will not fit perfectly but that’s ok because the buttercream will cover the tops.
PIN FOR LATER! Thanks.
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1¾ cup sugar
- 6 egg whites
- 3 cups cake flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- ¾ tsp salt
- ¾ cup milk
- ½ cup water
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup unsalted butter room temp
- 11 oz melted white chocolate melted and cooled
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- ½ cup strawberry puree
- seeds of 1 vanilla bean
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- STRAWBERRY PUREE:
- 1 lb frozen strawberries
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp water
- Sprinkles - I used SprinklePop "Romance" mix
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Line 24 count cupcake pan with liners.
- In large bowl, sift together the cake flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- Cream butter until pale yellow.
- Add sugar and continue to cream butter mixture until light and fluffy
- Add in egg whites two at a time, mix well after each addition.
- Combine milk, water and vanilla.
- With mixer on low add flour mixture one spoonful at a time alternating with the milk mixture and ending with the flour mixture. increase mixer to medium and mix until just combined, scraping the sides and bottom of bowl as needed.
- Fill cupcake cavities ¾ of the ways full. Tap on counter 3 times to release air bubbles.
- Bake 19-23 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let cool completely
- Cream butter until light and fluffy.
- Add vanilla bean seeds and continue to mix.
- With mixer on low add powdered sugar one spoonful at a time, mix until combined and scrape sides and bottom of bowl as needed.
- Add in the strawberry puree and continue mixing.
- With mixer on medium/high slowly drizzle in the white chocolate.
- Continue mixing until completely combined.
- Add in the vanilla extract and mix until combined.
- (if consistency is too soft, possibly from the cooled but warm white chocolate, place in refrigerator for 30 min to chill/stiffen the buttercream, not too much longer than that though, you don't want buttercream to get hard).
- STRAWBERRY PUREE:
- Place everything in medium sauce pan.
- Mash strawberries as they begin to soften.
- Bring to a boil and then bring down to a simmer.
- Simmer until reduced by half stirring often, about 30-45 min.
- Let cool completely.
- Arrange cupcakes on cookie sheet.
- Cut small hole in center of each cupcake that goes as deep as half way down.
- Pour 1 tsp of strawberry puree in center of cupcakes and place cutout round back on top. It will not fit perfectly, thats ok because you will be frosting over the tops.
- Pipe buttercream over tops of the cupcakes and add sprinkles if using them. (I used Ateco tip# 808 and SprinklePop mix “Romance”.
- I put the sprinkles in a shallow dish and rolled just the bottom edge in the sprinkles.