Butterscotch Walnut Cream Cheese Tart. Buttery short bread crust, tangy cream cheese filling and butterscotch enrobed walnuts make for a deliciously layered tart. [social_share/]Yum We’ve hit the in between stage here, not quite fall but not summer anymore. The temperatures are cooler, the potted flowers are dwindling (maybe that’s just mine, lol) and the house is quiet now that my daughter is in school 5 days a week.
Pumpkin Spice Lattes will just have to wait until October to get a visit from me. I have to resist the urge for all things Fall because if I start too soon I will be bored with it when it finally arrives. For me the leaves need to be many wonderful gem like hues and the summer clothes have officially been put away for me to really embrace Fall.
So since we are at this in between stage of the year both in the weather and in food, because as you know soon it will be all apples, then pumpkins, then…you get what I’m saying, I thought I would make something that has no season, a Butterscotch Walnut Cream Cheese Tart.
This tart starts with a buttery shortbread crust that crumbles and melts in your mouth. Next is a layer of lightly sweetened cream cheese followed by a generous serving of walnuts enrobed in a silky layer of amber hued butterscotch. This tart is a wonderful balance of flavors that all compliment one another.
The crust is buttery and not too sweet. The cream cheese filling is tangy and fresh which is the perfect balance to the sweet and gooey butterscotch (if you need a good butterscotch recipe try this one, its what I used for this tart but jarred will work as well) and the walnuts are the needed crunch and nuttiness.
This Butterscotch Walnut Cream Cheese Tart has become a new favorite and go to recipe for my next get togethers. So not matter the season or occasion this tart is sure to please.
FORGOT TO PIN IT? Here’s your chance! Thanks.
Butterscotch Walnut Cream Cheese Tart
- SHORTBREAD CRUST:
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 5 Tbsp butter
- CREAM CHEESE FILLING:
- 8 oz package of cream cheese room temperature
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla paste or extract
- WALNUT LAYER:
- 1 cup butterscotch room temperature. (I used homemade, see post for link to my favorite butterscotch recipe)
- 2 cups shelled walnuts plus more for garnishing
- Preheat oven to 375 F degrees
- Prepare 9" removable bottom tart pan by greasing and flouring it.
- SHORTBREAD CRUST:
- Add flour, brown sugar and salt into bowl of food processor*. Blend a bit and add butter one Tbsp at a time and mix between each addition. Process until small crumbs form, similar to wet sand.
- Pour into prepared pan, spread evenly and press to make solid layer and sides.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Let cool 5 minutes.
- CREAM CHEESE LAYER:
- Place cream cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla in bowl of mixer. Mix until light and fluffy.
- Pour the cream cheese mixture over the bottom of the crust, spread evenly with off-set spatula.
- Pour the 2 cups of walnuts over the cream cheese mixture evenly.
- Pour the butterscotch over the walnuts evenly.
- Arrange additional walnuts on top of butterscotch around the edge and in the center.
- Bake 14 minutes or until butterscotch is bubbling.
- Let cool completely.
- Remove from tart pan, serve.