8×8 Classic Vanilla Sheet Cake Recipe. Perfect for just yourself or a small family event.
Cake has always been an American tradition, heck probably a universal tradition, when it comes to celebrating a special occasion. But what if there is only two of you or four, or six? Well today I got you covered with my 8×8 Classic Vanilla Sheet Cake Recipe. Small enough for one to two people to enjoy for a few days but big enough for 4-6 people to enjoy a generous slice (or two). And buttercream, I got you covered. Let’s dive in!
8×8 Classic Vanilla Sheet Cake Tips:
- All ingredients should be room temp.
- This recipe using the creaming method. Meaning that the butter, sugar and eggs will be creamed together before adding in the flour.
- Mix can batter well enough to combine all the ingredients and aerate (add air bubbles for the cake structure to rise) the cake batter but not too much that you get air bubble tunnels.
- Check cake 5 minutes before scheduled baking end time to check the cake. Every oven is different and you want to be sure not to over bake your cake.
- Let cool completely before frosting.
- If making ahead of time, let cool and then wrap in 3 layers of plastic wrap to keep moist.
Caramel Cream Cheese Frosting Tips:
- All ingredients should be room temp. or you will have small cream cheese and/or butter lumps in your buttercream.
- Make sure to reduce mixer to low when adding the powdered sugar to avoid a powdery mess.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl to make sure all the ingredients are well combined.
- When choosing a caramel sauce look for one deeper in color, it will have a richer flavor (in my experience).
- This buttercream has a light caramel flavor, more of an essence that adds a richness to the buttercream.
- The caramel is a nice alternative to adding milk but if you don’t have caramel you can certainly use milk, start with 1 Tbsp and add more, up to 2 Tbsp, as needed.
This is a wonderful cake to enjoy for any event, even movie night on the couch 😉 .
You may also like:
Here are some of the items used to make this cake. The below are Amazon Affiliate links which means I get a small commission (at not cost to you) if you buy from these links.
Pin me for later, you’ll be glad you did! 😉
8x8 Classic Vanilla Sheet Cake
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter room temp
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1/2 tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup milk room temp
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter room temp
- 4 oz cream cheese room temp
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp caramel sauce homemade or store bought, I like Sanders brand.
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 tsp vanillla extract
- Cake:Pre heat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 8x8 pan with parchment leaving extra hanging over the side so you can easily pull cake out of pan once its cooled. 1. Put flour, baking powder and salt in bowl and stir with whisk to combine, set aside. 2. In bowl of mixer cream the butter. 3. Add in the sugar and mix until light pale and fluffy. 4. Add in eggs one at a time. Mixing until well combined and scraping down sides of bowl as needed. 5. Add in the vanilla 6. With mixer on low add in the flour and milk, alternating as needed and ending with the flour. Mixing until well combined and scraping down sides of bowl as needed. 7. Pour into prepared pan and bake 28-30 minutes or when toothpick inserted comes out clean. 8. Let cool Completely.
- BUTTERCREAM:1. In bowl of mixer fitted with paddle attachment cream the butter and cream cheese together until well mixed and light and fluffy. 2. With mixer on low slowly add in the powdered sugar, salt and vanilla. 3. Add in the caramel sauce, mix well to combine scraping down sides of mixing bow as needed.
- ASSEMBLY:1. Spread buttercream on top of cake with offset spatual and sprinkle with sprinkles.