White Chocolate Covered Candied Grapefruit Peel Recipe. Bitter sweet grapefruit peel candied to perfection and dipped in sweet, creamy white chocolate.
I found these beautiful grapefruits the other day and couldn’t resist. Grapefruit is one of my all time favorite fruits, I could seriously eat 3 a day and not get sick of them. My original plan was to make a grapefruit curd and I did the unthinkable and cooked my eggs in the grapefruit mixture. It was heartbreaking, at this point I was out of grapefruit and all that beautiful juice just wasted. So plan b to recoup some of the cost, I made White Chocolate Covered Candied Grapefruit Peel.
Candied grapefruit peel is a wonderfully bright, yet bitter treat. It happens to be one of my favorites and one of the reasons is that its very contradictory. On one hand its has sweet notes and the other very bitter notes. I rolled the candied peels in sugar, it provides a little more sweetness but I also love the light crust and crunch it provides. To really balance things out I dipped one end in white chocolate.
I hope you enjoy this White Chocolate Covered Candied Grapefruit Peel as much as I do!
Here are some of the products used to make these peels. Whether you are interested in buying through the link or just want a visual of what to look for see below. (Please note some of the links below are affiliate links which means if you purchase from the link I get a small commission. I use these products and stand behind them which is why I chose to tell you about them. Thank you for your supporting this blog. )
FORGOT TO PIN IT? Here it is! Thanks.
Recipe adapted from Bon Appetit.
- 2 large grapefruits
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar (for coating)
- 2 cups melted white chocolate
- Cut grapefruit peel into strips and leave ¼ inch of the pith attached to the peel.
- Put peel in small sauce pan.
- Cover with cold water.
- Bring to a boil, drain, repeat two more times.
- Bring peel, 1 cup sugar and ½ cup water to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer until peel is translucent, about 20 minutes.
- Drain, lay out on wire rack to cool and dry, about 4 hours.
- Toss in sugar, let set.
- Dip one end in melted chocolate and lay on parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Let set in cool dry place, until chocolate is fully set.