Orange Vanilla Sour Cream Pound Cake. Moist, tender, buttery, orange and vanilla pound cake. Topped with vanilla orange cream cheese glaze.
I remember as a child going to wedding showers, church functions, baby showers, buffets, etc and seeing pound cake. To be honest it always seemed boring to me, if there were no sprinkles, icing roses or lots of frosting my heart just wasn’t in it. However my adult side has greatly learned to appreciate a wonderful pound cake in its simple glory and have enjoyed many a slice over the years.
Orange, oranges, oranges…I don’t know how but I ended up with two bags of oranges. I think my jump on spring got a little out of hand. However, it led me to this beauty of cake. Orange Vanilla Sour Cream Pound Cake. It won’t take long for you to see why they (who ever they are) call it a pound cake, it is a bit heavier but don’t let that fool you. This cake bakes tall and proud but the knife just glides through this dense, moist and tender cake like butter. Though firm at initial first bite the cake begins to melt away into this wonderfully buttery, vanilla, orange classical symphony of flavors.
I may not have done buttercream or icing roses here but for this particular pound cake I did even better. I wanted to offset the sweet with a little tang and what better than cream cheese. This pound cake is topped with a Vanilla Orange Cream Cheese Glaze which plays superbly with all the other flavors. It melts satisfyingly into each bite of cake. And as you can see the kid in me added a few sprinkles. If we look at the cake as a great outfit the glaze is the pair of designer shoes that brings it all together.
This Orange Vanilla Sour Cream Pound Cake topped with Vanilla Orange Cream Cheese Glaze will make a wonderful addition to your next get together.
Orange Vanilla Sour Cream Pound Cake
- 3 cups cake flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup butter room temperature
- 3 cups sugar
- 6 eggs room temperature
- 1 cup sour cream room temperature
- 1 Tbsp vanilla bean paste or seeds from one vanilla bean
- 1 Tbsp orange juice
- 2 Tbsp orange zest
- 1 8 oz package of cream cheese room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla paste or extract
- 1 Tbsp orange juice
- 1 Tbsp orange zest
- GARNISH optional:
- Candied orange slices
- 2 Tbsp milk
- Pre heat oven to 325 degrees F
- Oil and flour 10 inch tube pan
- Put flour and baking powder in medium bowl and set aside.
- In bowl of mixer cream the butter.
- Add the sugar and mix until pale yellow and fluffy.
- Add in the sour cream, mix until combined.
- Add in the eggs, vanilla, orange juice and zest, mix until well combined.
- With mixer on low slowly add in the flour mixture, mix until well combined.
- Pour batter into tube pan and bake for 1 hour and 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely.
- Remove from pan.
- In bowl of mixer with paddle attachment add in the cream cheese and whip about 30 seconds.
- Add in the sugar and mix until well combined.
- Add in the vanilla, orange juice, orange zest and mix until all combined.
- Place cake on cake plate or stand.
- Spoon glaze onto top of cake and gently nudge towards the edges of cake with back of spoon so it drips down slightly.
- If using, arrange orange slices on top and add sprinkles.