White Chocolate Peppermint Cake. Lush white chocolate and cool, crisp peppermint make for a wonderfully delightful cake.
The winter season always makes me crave peppermint and as far as white chocolate goes, well, I always crave it 😉 . The two together are simply magical. And this cake is proof positive.
The cake layers are white chocolate and peppermint, the buttercream layers are sprinkled with crushed candy cane for a little extra crunch and the buttercream itself is the perfect creamy vanilla robe to hold it all together.
I was lucky enough that our local grocery store had a holiday bouquet on clearance, the flowers were just perfect and colors I was looking for. And as you can see I like carnations, I know they get a bad rep but I think their ruffles are so pretty and I find it hard to see any flower as a bad flower ;-).
You’ll love this candy cane inspired cake with the addition of white chocolate and buttercream.
FORGOT TO PIN IT? Here it is. Thanks.
White Chocolate Peppermint Cake
- 6 oz. white chocolate melted
- 4 large egg whites room temp
- 1 cup milk room temp
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 3 cups cake flour
- 1 cup + 3 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp + 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 9 Tbsp butter room temp
- 7 egg whites
- 1 1/2 cups + 3 Tbsp sugar
- 1 1/2 lbs butter
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS:
- 1 cup crushed peppermint candy cane
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Grease 2- 7inch cake pans, line bottom with parchment, grease parchment and flour pans.
- In medium bowl combine the egg whites, 1/4 cup milk and vanilla.
- In large bowl of mixer add the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking powder, salt).
- Mix the dry ingredients for 30 seconds to combine.
- Add the butter and the remaining 3/4 cups milk, mixing on low until ingredients are moistened.
- With mixer on medium speed beat for 1.5 minutes to form the cake batters structure.
- Scrape down the sides.
- Slowly add the egg mixture in 3 batches, mix 20 seconds after each addition.
- Scrape down the sides with spatula.
- With mixer on medium slowly add the melted chocolate and mix until well combined.
- Pour batter into cake pans evenly.
- Bake 44-48 minutes or until golden brown and toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let cool completely.
- In medium sauce pan add the egg whites and sugar.
- On medium heat you are going to whisk egg mixture until sugar is completely dissolved (you can test it by rubbing a small amount between your fingers to test it, it should be completely smooth).
- Transfer to mixing bowl and with whisk attachment whisk on high until stiff peaks form and mixture is completely cooled.
- Switch to paddle attachment.
- On low speed add the butter one piece at a time. Mix until well combined.
- Add in the vanilla, continue mixing until completely mixed in.
- Cut each cake horizontally so you have a total of 4 layers.
- Put a small dollop of frosting on cake board/cake plate so the cake sticks.
- Put on the first layer, spread layer of buttercream, smooth with offset spatula.
- Sprinkle with 1/4 cup crushed candy cane.
- Repeat with next two cake layers.
- Place last layer of cake on top.
- Crumb coat the cake, refrigerate.
- Apply and smooth out final coat of buttercream on top and sides. Pipe on top and bottom border.
- sprinkle with remaining crushed candy cane.
- Decorate with flowers.
Okay….has Santa visited your house early and given you extra hours in your days?! You are killing it! And this cake has Christmas Dream written all over it! Wonderful!
Thanks Annie! I’ve been super motivated and can’t seem to get out of the kitchen lately 😉 . Agreed, this cake is all about Christmas. Take care.
Ashika | Gardening Foodie says
This is such a beautiful cake Stacey, your pictures are absolutely stunning. It will make a gorgeous and impressive Christmas dessert. Absolutely beautiful!
Hi Ashika! Thank you! I thinks it perfect for Christmas. Take care.
Alia @ Everyday Easy Eats says
Oh my word Stacey, your White Chocolate Peppermint Cake looks fabulous! It is so perfect for the holidays!! Love the red and white flowers too, they look so pretty! 🙂
Hi Alia! Thank you! The flowers were one of my favorite things on the cake to 😉 . Take care.
The specks of crushed candy cane look so pretty! And that luscious buttercream looks divine! Another gorgeous layer cake Stacey!! Perfect for a white Christmas 🙂
Thanks Deepika! Those specks just make all the difference! Take care 😉
Hi there — the buttercream ingredients call for
7 egg whites
1½ cups + 3 Tbsp
1½ lbs butter
2 tsp vanilla extract
pinch of salt
What ingredient is the “1½ cups + 3 Tbsp” ? Sugar?
Hi CJH, Yes, that would be sugar, sorry for the confusion! Recipe has been updated. Happy baking! Take care.