White Chocolate Peppermint Cake. Lush white chocolate and cool, crisp peppermint make for a wonderfully delightful cake.
The winter season always makes me crave peppermint and as far as white chocolate goes, well, I always crave it 😉 . The two together are simply magical. And this cake is proof positive.
The cake layers are white chocolate and peppermint, the buttercream layers are sprinkled with crushed candy cane for a little extra crunch and the buttercream itself is the perfect creamy vanilla robe to hold it all together.
I was lucky enough that our local grocery store had a holiday bouquet on clearance, the flowers were just perfect and colors I was looking for. And as you can see I like carnations, I know they get a bad rep but I think their ruffles are so pretty and I find it hard to see any flower as a bad flower ;-).
You’ll love this candy cane inspired cake with the addition of white chocolate and buttercream.
FORGOT TO PIN IT? Here it is. Thanks.
White Chocolate Peppermint Cake
- 6 oz. white chocolate melted
- 4 large egg whites room temp
- 1 cup milk room temp
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 3 cups cake flour
- 1 cup + 3 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp + 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 9 Tbsp butter room temp
- 7 egg whites
- 1 1/2 cups + 3 Tbsp sugar
- 1 1/2 lbs butter
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS:
- 1 cup crushed peppermint candy cane
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Grease 2- 7inch cake pans, line bottom with parchment, grease parchment and flour pans.
- In medium bowl combine the egg whites, 1/4 cup milk and vanilla.
- In large bowl of mixer add the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking powder, salt).
- Mix the dry ingredients for 30 seconds to combine.
- Add the butter and the remaining 3/4 cups milk, mixing on low until ingredients are moistened.
- With mixer on medium speed beat for 1.5 minutes to form the cake batters structure.
- Scrape down the sides.
- Slowly add the egg mixture in 3 batches, mix 20 seconds after each addition.
- Scrape down the sides with spatula.
- With mixer on medium slowly add the melted chocolate and mix until well combined.
- Pour batter into cake pans evenly.
- Bake 44-48 minutes or until golden brown and toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let cool completely.
- In medium sauce pan add the egg whites and sugar.
- On medium heat you are going to whisk egg mixture until sugar is completely dissolved (you can test it by rubbing a small amount between your fingers to test it, it should be completely smooth).
- Transfer to mixing bowl and with whisk attachment whisk on high until stiff peaks form and mixture is completely cooled.
- Switch to paddle attachment.
- On low speed add the butter one piece at a time. Mix until well combined.
- Add in the vanilla, continue mixing until completely mixed in.
- Cut each cake horizontally so you have a total of 4 layers.
- Put a small dollop of frosting on cake board/cake plate so the cake sticks.
- Put on the first layer, spread layer of buttercream, smooth with offset spatula.
- Sprinkle with 1/4 cup crushed candy cane.
- Repeat with next two cake layers.
- Place last layer of cake on top.
- Crumb coat the cake, refrigerate.
- Apply and smooth out final coat of buttercream on top and sides. Pipe on top and bottom border.
- sprinkle with remaining crushed candy cane.
- Decorate with flowers.