Gooey Dark Chocolate Roasted Hazelnut Caramel Bark. Smooth dark chocolate, roasted hazelnuts, gooey caramel and a sprinkling of sea salt make for your new favorite bark recipe.
It must be a full moon because I am posting for the third time this week. And though I would love to say I do that all the time the truth is real life, my big girl job and other commitments always seem to stand in my way. So I am going to take today as a win, it is Friday after all so things are off to a great start.
I have a cup of hot tea every night while I watch TV. This week I have been craving chocolate with my tea but the usual handful of chocolate chips just wasn’t cutting it. I scoured the pantry for something more substantial. I found 3-ingredients that that were going to rock my next tea time snack. Roasted hazelnuts, caramel and dark chocolate.
I started by lining an old school 8″ pie plate with tin foil (I removed foil for the pics) so the chocolate bark bar could easily be removed from the pan if needed. I melted my first batch of chocolate (we’ll be working with 2 batches) and poured it into the pan, then swirled the chocolate around and around the edge of the pan so the sides were coated up to the lip of the pan, this took about 12 swirls. I then sprinkled with roasted/salted hazelnuts, refrigerate. Next is the gooey caramel, this gets poured over the hazelnuts, then a second sprinkling of hazelnuts gets added, again refrigerate. Melted my last batch of chocolate, poured it over the caramel and hazelnut mixture, using an offset spatula I then spread it evenly making sure it was spread to the edges. Decorated the edges with hazelnuts (optional but pretty). I then let it sit in a cool room overnight (refrigerator will work to). Then sprinkled with sea salt.
That following night it was tea time and at this point I really didn’t care about the tea. I was so eager to break into my Gooey Dark Chocolate Roasted Hazelnut Caramel Bark. Needless to say it did not disappoint, the word Gooey is in the name for a reason but that is part of the appeal. Anyone else remember how gooey a Caramellow Candy Bar is? But it made it that much more delicious!
In the mood for sweet, crunchy, salty and gooey? Then look no further.
FORGOT TO PIN IT? Here it is! Thanks!
Gooey Dark Chocolate Roasted Hazelnut Caramel Bark
- 2 cups chocolate chips divided into two 1 cup portions.
- 1 1/4 cups rough chopped roasted/salted hazelnuts divided into two portions.
- 1/2 cup caramel sauce
- GARNISH optional:
- sea salt flakes
- whole hazelnuts to go around the edge of the bark
- line a 8" pie plate with foil.
- Melt 1 cup of chocolate.
- Pour into pie plate, swirl chocolate around to coat the sides, repeat so the sides are will coated, about 12 times.
- Sprinkle first portion of hazelnuts onto the bottom of the pie plate so they stick into the chocolate.
- Refrigerate about 10-15 minutes.
- Warm caramel so it is pourable, pour on top of hazelnuts in pie plate.
- Sprinkle top of caramel with second 1/2 of the hazelnuts.
- Refrigerate about 20 minutes.
- Melt remaining chocolate, pour over the caramel/hazelnut mixture. Using an offset spatula evenly spread the chocolate over the top making sure to spread it over the entire top.
- Garnish as desired.
- If sprinkling with sea salt wait until chocolate is set so it doesn't dissolve into the warm chocolate.
- Let set in refrigerator, minimum 45 minutes.
- When its time to cut into the bark heat a large chopping knife under hot water, dry it completely. It will help soften the chocolate as you cut into it. You may need to rewarm it a few times.
- You can cut it in the pan or lift it out of the pan by the foil to make larger cuts.
- If making for a party I would recommend cutting into pieces and placing into paper candy cups.