Vanilla Bean Buttercream Frosted Sugar Cookie Bars. Smooth, creamy vanilla bean flecked swiss meringue buttercream on top of sweet, buttery, sugar cookie bars.
Happy Friday!! My brain is going into Spring mode, even if the weather isn’t. My thoughts are towards pastels, sprinkles, flower buds and blue skies. Im so ready for the real thing. But in the mean time I’ll be snacking on these Vanilla Bean Buttercream Frosted Sugar Cookie Bars with colorful festive sprinkles. Lets be honest this bar cookie just wouldn’t look as yummy without the sprinkles, am I right?
You all know my love for sugar cookies so it was a no brainer to put them into a bar cookie. Im not gonna lie, the simplicity of just putting the whole batch of dough into the pan was quite appealing. Usually Im cutting out my sugar cookies so this seemed almost too easy. Bake, cool, done. Now you have the sweet, buttery, sugary base ready to be frosted.
Speaking of love, swiss meringue buttercream!! It is the best buttercream ever invented. Add to it aromatic, delicious vanilla beans (I used plump high quality Nielsen Massey Madagascar Vanilla Beans) and you’ve got luxury. Doesn’t vanilla bean speckled anything just shout “Spring”?!
For some fun, confetti sprinkles. I find this particular sprinkle to be so festive and appropriate for any occasion. And looks at those colors!! Don’t you want to just want to pick a few off and eat them or is it just me?
Join me in having a Vanilla Bean Buttercream Frosted Sugar Cookie Bar while we wait for Spring to arrive! I’ll make the coffee.
Here are some of the products used to make this Vanilla Bean Buttercream Frosted Sugar Cookie Bar. Whether you are interested in buying through the link or just want a visual of what to look for see below. (Please note some of the links below are affiliate links which means if you purchase from the link I get a small commission. I use these products and stand behind them which is why I chose to tell you about them. Thank you for your supporting this blog. )
FORGOT TO PIN IT? Here it is.
Vanilla Bean Buttercream Frosted Sugar Cookie Bars
- SUGAR COOKIE:
- 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 eggs whites
- 3/4 cups sugar
- 2 1/2 sticks butter or 1 1/4 cup room temp, cut into Tbsp size chunks.
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Seeds of 1/2 of a vanilla bean
- Confetti sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Line 8x8 pan with parchment, set aside.
- SUGAR COOKIE:
- Place flour, baking soda, salt in bowl, mix to combine, set aside.
- In bowl of mixer fitted with paddle attachment cream the butter.
- Add in the sugar and mix until pale and light.
- Add in the vanilla, continue to mix.
- Add in the eggs, continue mixing.
- With mixer on low add in the flour mixture. Mix until completely combined and dough forms.
- Scoop dough into pan, with floured hands press dough evenly around the bottom of the pan until evenly covered.
- Bake 12-14 minutes or until lightly golden.
- Cool completely.
- In medium sauce pan add the egg whites and sugar.
- On medium heat you are going to whisk egg mixture until sugar is completely dissolved (you can test it by rubbing a small amount between your fingers to test it, it should be completely smooth).
- Transfer to mixing bowl and with whisk attachment whisk on high until stiff peaks form and mixture is cooled.
- On low speed add the butter one piece at a time. Mix until well combined.
- Switch to paddle attachment, add vanilla and vanilla beans, mix until smooth and glossy.
- Once base is completely cooled and buttercream has been made. Scoop the buttercream onto the base and spread around with an off set spatula. Sprinkle with sprinkles.
- Tip: you can cut right away but for a cleaner cut refrigerate 10-15 minutes so the buttercream firms up a bit.