Salted Kentucky Bourbon Caramels. Sticky, gooey, bourbon enhanced caramel candy. An addicting candy classic.
I’m getting really excited for autumn now. I did not have to break a sweat once this week and I think I can officially put the shorts away. It was long sleeve shirts and a few sweaters all the way but still comfortable enough that I could wear sandals. This kind of weather is pure heaven to me. Not too hot, not too cold but just right!
Today I bring you Salted Kentucky Bourbon Caramels. Sometimes you just need a piece of candy. Not a big piece of cake or 3 cookies but just a good old fashioned piece of sticky caramel that satisfies that sweet craving you have going on without being too much of a good thing.
Why These Salted Kentucky Bourbon Caramels are so good:
- They are ooey and gooey which always makes for a fun sweet treat.
- They are enhanced with good old Kentucky Bourbon. The alcohol is cooked off but you’re still left with that rich flavor.
- Rich and creamy – something magical happens when you combine cream, sugar, bourbon and butter together. Pure magic!
- A little bit of salt makes all the difference – all that sweet needs a little balance of salt, just a sprinkle goes a long way.
A little word on bourbon. I chose a high end brand of bourbon, Woodford Reserve. I’d like to tell you that I chose this brand because I know my way around a good bourbon but the truth is I don’t know a thing about bourbon. So I figured the best thing to do would be splurge and get a good quality one to be on the safe side 🙂 . With that being said if you have a good bourbon in mind go for it! I’m in no way a bourbon snob and though Woodford Reserve tasted pretty darn good, even for my uneducated bourbon palette, work with the bourbon you love best.
Making candy can be a little stressful if you haven’t done it before or worse, you’ve burned it before. I have ruined plenty of my share of candy recipes, primarily from burning. Just keep practicing and invest in a good quality candy thermometer that attaches to the side of pan. Back when I first started experimenting with candy I used a run of the mill battery operated meat thermometer, I would stick it into the candy mixture every so many minutes to check the temp, it wasn’t an accurate method and I wouldn’t recommend it. Plus the steam would come up and my hand would get mighty hot while trying to get a temperature read. Learn from my mistake 😉 .
Enjoy these caramels the next time you crave a sweet treat!
PIN IT FOR LATER! Thanks.
Salted Kentucky Bourbon Caramels
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 2 cups sugar
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup good quality bourbon I used Woodford Reserve
- Salt for sprinkling I used himalayan sea salt but any flaked sea salt will do
- Grease an 8x8 pan and line with parchment, keep some over hang so you can easily lift the caramel out of pan for cutting.
- In large sauce pan with high sides add the cream, corn syrup, sugar, butter and bourbon.
- Bring to boil over high heat, stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Bring heat down to med/high heat and let cook without stirring. Make sure you attach your candy thermometer at this time.
- Continue to cook until mixture reaches 248 degrees F. This took about 25-30 minutes for me. But start checking thermometer sooner as every pan and cook top is different.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan and let cool completely.
- When ready cut into 1 inch squares, sprinkle with a little salt and wrap each piece in parchment or wax paper.
Katherine | Love In My Oven says
Caramels have always been my favourite candy. My Dad used to always have one of those kraft caramels in his jacket pocket, and I would search for it when I was a kid! I love the addition of bourbon, I can make a batch and feel very grown up while eating these!! 😉
Hi Katherine. What a nice memory 🙂 . Thank you and yes, grown up is a good way to describe these. Take care.
Madison Smith says
Hi Stacey….! This salted kentucky…looks sooo yummy & more delicious and i can’t wait make this…Thanks for sharing & keep shared your new recipes…!
Hi Madison, thank you so much! Enjoy! Take care. 🙂
Oh my goodness! Amazing! Can’t wait to try these.
Hi Karly! Thank you 🙂 . They are so addicting. Take care.
Kathy @ Beyond the Chicken Coop says
These look amazing! I make caramels around Christmas time every year, but I’ve never tried adding bourbon to them. Your recipe will be on my list to make this year. 🙂
Hi Kathy! Thank you very much. Caramels at Christmas so perfect, I love a good candy snacking at Christmas ;-). Take care.
KGL Staff says
I cannot wait to see what else you come up with and we will forever continue to use your recipes!!! I CAN NOT WAIT for your cookbook to come out
Thank you for the kind words. 🙂
Camila @ Microwave Choice says
This recipe is easy and amazing. Surely, I will try it. Thanks for such a nice recipe.
Thank you Camila!