Lemon Chiffon Strawberry Cloud Cakes. Sweet and light lemon chiffon cakes, fluffy whipped cream and strawberries. It’s like a cloud on a plate!
What a busy weekend! My visiting family all went home. I liked the quiet for about five minutes and then found myself really missing all the fun chaos. Everyone stayed at my moms so when we went over there tonight my daughter was searching for her cousins, checking to see if they left any toys behind and mixed all the half empty bubble containers into one. All the mess of swimsuits hanging out to dry was gone and the tv, which was always playing one of the kids favorite movies was now silent, sigh. Hopefully we don’t have to wait until next year to see them all again! Thanksgiving maybe?
So with all the delicious food we ate I was left really craving something on the lighter side. I wanted something that still embraced summer flavors but that was light on the palette. I can’t think of any flavor better to do that then lemon. Lemon is so vibrant, fresh, clean and sunny which is what I was going for today. So I decided to make these sweet little Lemon Chiffon Strawberry Cloud Cakes.
Have you ever had chiffon cake? Once you have it’s really hard to go back to any other kind of cake, I adapted this recipe from “The Cake Bible”. A chiffon cake is so light and delicate, spongy and airy. Add to that lemon and you have a cake that truly describes summer with every bite. Now, as you may already know, I am a huge batter fan. I love thick rich brownie batter and I love the textures and flavors of humming bird bread batter. But what makes lemon chiffon cake batter special is the smell, hands down. The smell of lemon chiffon batter is of sugary sweet fresh lemons with a hint of vanilla. Make that into an air freshener and I would have one in every room in my house.
The chiffon cake alone could contribute to the “cloud” in this desserts name. That being the case we could then consider the whipped cream the cumulus clouds (aren’t those the big fluffy clouds we learned about in school?). Keeping with the light and airy direction of this dessert whipped cream is used as the filling. The best way I can describe my love for whipped cream? Get your own, because I’m not sharing, lol, that about sums it up. Where else can you add liquid to a mixing bowl, turn the mixer on, turn your back and in a few minutes have a delicacy of light fluffy heaven?
I could ramble on for another hour about my love of lemon curd and strawberries but I will spare you and condense it. To keep things a little tart we have a swirl of tart lemon curd. And for a little sweet fresh strawberry slices. Like I said before these Lemon Chiffon Strawberry Cloud Cakes are like clouds on a plate.
Want a little bit of sunshine for dessert? Make these fresh, citrusy, light and airy Lemon Chiffon Strawberry Cloud Cakes.
Lemon Chiffon Strawberry Cloud Cakes
- LEMON CHIFFON CAKE - adapted from The Cake Bible:
- 1 cup + 2Tbsp sifted cake flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup canola oil or vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup egg yolks* see notes
- 1/2 cup + 2tbsp egg whites* see notes
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 Tbsp grated lemon zest additional for garnish
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp cream of tarter
- WHIPPED CREAM:
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 1/2 Tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp grated lemon zest
- 7 whole strawberries
- 6 strawberries sliced into four slices
- 1 jar of lemon curd I used Dickinson's
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F
- Line 11x17 jelly roll pan or rimmed cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- LEMON CHIFFON CAKE:
- In large mixing bowl combine flour, all but 1 Tbsp sugar, baking soda and salt. Stir to combine.
- Make a well in the center, add the oil, egg yolks, water, lemon juice, lemon zest and vanilla.
- Whisk one minute until smooth batter is formed.
- In bowl of mixer fitted with whisk attachment beat egg whites until frothy.
- Add cream of tarter. Beat until soft peaks form when whisk is raised.
- Beat in one tablespoon of sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold egg whites into batter with wire whisk until just blended.
- Pour batter onto prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until light golden brown and cake springs back when lightly pressed in the center.
- Cool completely.
- WHIPPED CREAM:
- Add whipping cream, lemon zest and sugar to mixing bowl and beat with whisk attachment until fluffy stiff peaks form when whisk is lifted.
- With a 3" round cookie cutter or doughnut cutter, cut out 14 chiffon cake rounds.
- Pair up cake rounds. You will have 7 tops and 7 bottoms.
- Put lemon curd in piping bag (tip optional, I didn't use one). Pipe layer of curd on bottom cake rounds leaving a 1/4 inch from the outer edge of cake rounds.
- Put whipped cream in piping bag (tip optional, I didn't use one).
- Pipe circle of whipped cream around outter edge of bottom cake rounds (this will be a circle of whipped cream around the lemon curd.)
- Place three slices of strawberries on their side on tip of whipped cream.
- Fill in center and spaces between strawberries with whipped cream.
- Top each filled bottom layer with the top cake round.
- On top of each cake pipe a small dab of whipped cream and place a whole strawberry on top.
- Sprinkle lemon zest over each cake (optional).