Candied Orange Chocolate Rice Krispies Treats. Gooey, marshmallowy Rice Krispies Treats smothered in a coating of chocolate and adorned by slices of candied oranges.
It looks like Spring has sprung!! To add to that good news my Wasabi Bloody Mary was featured in the Ultimate Bloody Mary Round Up on Drizly!! Check it out, it will make you thirsty and ready for the weekend, hopefully with time spent on the deck.
So I have a confession to make. One of my favorite things to do is make Rice Krispies Treats a little bit fancy. That is exactly what I did here with these Candied Orange Chocolate Rice Krispies Treats!! They are A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!
Here’s the breakdown of why these Candied Orange Chocolate Rice Krispies Treats are so great!!
- The base is the gooey, crunchy, sweet Rice Krispies Treats we grew up with.
- Spreading chocolate on top not only adds, well… chocolate but it also adds the great chocolate “snap” we love to each bite.
- Candied orange slices… you already know I’m obsessed. Citrus is the perfect compliment to our childhood fave. These sweet, orangey, chewy slices of heaven just belong with all the goodness mentioned above.
- No bake!!
Are you tasting these Candied Orange Chocolate Rice Krispies Treats in your mind yet? Can you see why I’m so blown away?
You all hear me say that I give a lot of my goodies away so I don’t eat them all. With these I hid a few like a little squirrel hiding nuts in the fall. There was no way I was giving all of them away this time.
Want to know what the biggest secret to a great Rice Krispies Treat is? It’s easy and natural to want to “pack” the mixture down into the pan to get it into place. But I have learned through trial and error that its best to very lightly press the mixture into the pan. Just enough that they are in place but not packed in tight. Over packing and pressing will create a harder, crushed Krispie Treat. By lightly pressing them into the pan it keeps them lighter and gooey when you bite into them or pull them apart.
Your weekend project is right here, go make a batch of Candied Orange Chocolate Rice Krispies Treats!!
FORGOT TO PIN IT? Here it is. Thanks.
- RICE KRISPIES TREAT
- 1 - 12 oz bag marshmallows
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 6 cups Kellogs Rice Krispies Treats
- CHOCOLATE COATING:
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate melted
- CANDIED ORANGES:
- 1 orange - sliced into ⅛ inch slices
- 1½ cups water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup melted semi-sweet chocolate
- RICE KRISPIES TREATS:
- Line 8x8 pan with parchment, butter the sides and set aside.
- Melt butter, in large bowl microwave for 45 seconds (give or take) until butter is melted.
- Add in the marshmallows and toss to coat them with butter.
- Microwave the mixture for 1 minute 40 seconds or until mixture is melted and well combined.
- Stir to make sure butter is completely mixed in.
- Pour in the krispies, stir until combined.
- Pour into prepared pan, gently press the mixture into place. Do NOT pack down the mixture too hard (see more on this in post).
- Set aside to cool completely.
- CANDIED ORANGES:
- In a large fry pan add the sugar and water.
- Gently stir until mixture comes to gentle boil.
- Add in the orange slices in a single layer.
- After 15 minutes flip orange slices and reduce heat to simmer.
- Continue to cook for 20 minutes or until peels are translucent, syrup should also be thickened.
- Place slices on wire rack to cool, once cooled they should be sticky to the touch.*
- Once cooled cut orange slices in half.
- Pour melted chocolate over the Rice Krispies Treats and spread evenly with offset spatula.
- Arrange candied orange slice halves on top, I used 9 halves.
- Let set completely.
- Cut into desired size squares.
- Store in airtight container.
- GARNISH (optional):
- Drizzle the tops of the oranges with melted chocolate.
I cut these is large slices (9 squares) for the photos to show off the orange slice. If you want these to go further simply slice these into 18 squares or rectangles. They are rich and sweet.