The Best Sugar Cookie Recipe. Perfect for cut out cookies, this dough does not require refrigeration before rolling out or before baking. And the dough doesn’t spread when baking either!
It snowed last night, today and is going to again this week so these snowflake sugar cookies pretty much sum up the week. I always hesitate before calling a recipe “the best” of anything. Because 1. its based on personal taste 2. everyone has their favorite recipe 3. who am I to say something is the best? But if you love to make sugar cookies like I do. If you love to make the dough and get right to work with your roller and cookie cutters without refrigerating the dough first. If you don’t like having to refrigerate your cookies before baking and if you don’t want your cutouts to spread when they bake…. Then this is The Best Sugar Cookie Recipe out there. Its inspired by the Fancy Flours recipe and its a winner. I came upon this recipe quite a few years ago and haven’t strayed since.
For these cookies I used a snowflake cookie cutter. Royal icing, one of my favorites!! And I fell in love with these winter color inspired sprinkles by Wilton. But you can use what ever cookie cutter strikes your fancy and of course if royal icing isn’t your thing you can never go wrong with buttercream!
I hope you find that The Best Sugar Cookie Recipe is your favorite to! Happy baking and decorating!
FORGOT TO PIN IT? Here it is! Thanks.
- 3 cups flour
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup butter (room temp but not too soft/melty, see Notes)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract or paste
- ROYAL ICING:
- 2 Tbsp Wilton color flow mix
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- ¼ cup + 1 Tbsp water
- ½ tsp almond extract
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line baking sheets with parchment.
- Have cookie cutter(s) ready.
- In medium bowl add the flour, salt and baking powder, stir to combine, set aside.
- In bowl of mixer start whipping the butter until light and fluffy.
- Add the sugar and mix to combine.
- Add in the egg, vanilla and vanilla bean. Mix well to combine.
- Slowly add in the flour mixture and mix until cookie dough forms and all is combined.
- Divide dough into two portions.
- Place dough between two sheets of wax paper and roll out, cut out cookies and place on tray.
- Bake for 8-12 minutes.
- Repeat until all cookies are baked.
- Let cool completely.
- ROYAL ICING:
- Combine all ingredients into mixer and mix until all combine and royal icing forms, about 5 minutes.
- Pour into piping bag with a small round tip, I used Wilton tip #3.
- Lay cookies flat on cookie sheets.
- Outline the snowflakes with royal icing.
- Let set for at least 10 minutes. This outline will be like a fence and will keep the royal icing from running over the sides when its time to fill.
- Next fill each cookie with royal icing, using the tip or a toothpick to move it around so it covers evenly.
- Sprinkle immediately with sprinkles while icing is wet.
- Let set to dry completely, at least 4 hours but over night is preferable.
Butter should be room temp but not soft/melty. If the butter is too soft it will produce a puffier cookie (not the end of the world but its not what we want).