Lemon Poppy Seed Cupcakes. Bright lemony cupcakes speckled with poppy seeds and swirled with lemon buttercream.
This is going to be a short on text post today but sometimes thats ok. Being the ever shy and quiet one that I am I know the skill of not speaking when there is not much to say (and sometimes due to shyness I don’t always speak when there is something to say but thats a subject for another day 😉 ).
Three things I have to say – Lemon Cupcakes, Poppy Seeds and Lemon Buttercream!! I may be a simpleton but that’s all I need to hear. I don’t know what it is about a poppyseed that makes all the difference but that little black seed just makes any lemon dessert just pop. And maybe that’s it, the little pop of these seeds with each bite makes these cupcakes fun and delightful.
With Easter upon us these Lemon Poppy Seed Cupcakes are just perfect for any dessert, brunch or just a little sweet snack.
PIN FOR LATER! Thank you 🙂
Lemon Poppy Seed Cupcake Recipe
- White cake mix I used Pillsbury
- 3 large eggs room temp
- 3/4 cup buttermilk room temp
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3 Tbsp lemon zest
- 3 Tbsp poppyseed
- 1 cup butter room temp
- 4 cups confectioners sugar
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp milk
- 2 Tbsp lemon zest
- Preheat oven 350 degrees. Line muffin tins with liners (24 total)
- Put all ingredients except poppy seeds into mixer and mix until completely combined, about 1-2 minutes.
- Fold in the poppy seeds.
- Pour batter into cupcake liners, about 1/2 full.
- Bake 19-23 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Mix butter on medium until light and fluffy.
- With mixer on low add powdered sugar one spoonful at a time adding lemon juice and milk as needed. Mix until smooth and creamy.
- Add in the zest and and mix until combined.
- Take cupcakes out of muffin tray(s).
- Put buttercream into piping bag fitted with tip of our choice (I used Wilton 1M).
- Pipe frosting onto cupcakes and decorate.
Kathy @ Beyond the Chicken Coop says
Remember, a picture says a thousand words! And these pictures say beautiful and delicious! Nicely done!
Thanks so much Kathy I appreciate it 🙂 . Take care.
These are just delightful. I love lemon and I love cupcakes so this recipe is definitely one for me.
Hi Marie! Me too, it’s hard to beat lemon. Thank you. Take care. 🙂
Leanne | Crumb Top Baking says
These are so pretty and elegant Stacey! They would be a perfect dessert for Easter Sunday or Mother’s Day! They just have spring written all over them!
Thanks Leanne! Mothers day would be perfect for these 🙂 . Take care.
Roslia santamaria says
I never tried this recipe before and
after reading this amazing post I think I must give it a try.
Hi Roslia! Thank you so much, lemon poppyseed is sooo good, you’ll love it. Take care 🙂