Coconut Cocoa Nib Rice Krispy Treats. Crunchy, gooey, coconutty, spin on an all time favorite with the added crunch of cocoa nibs.
So I planned on posting this last night but got distracted. I just wanted to check out few blogs I follow (so much great stuff out there right now..)and the next thing I know a couple hours went by and then it was bed time. For any of you that know me you know two things about me, 1. I am easily distracted, doesn’t take much and 2. I am a morning person not a night person so when it’s bedtime there’s no compromise. So here we are today instead of last night…
Remember when we were kids and our moms or someone’s mom made Rice Krispy Treats. As a kid I thought they were the coolest, most special, crunchiest gooeyiest treat ever and that hasn’t changed much. For as simple as they are it’s hard to believe how great they are.
Over the years I’ve made different variations which has led me here to these Coconut Cocoa Nib Rice Krispy Treats. Let me break it down, I took our Krispy gooey base, then added unsweetened coconut and raw cocoa nibs. Then topped each off with a drizzle of chocolate and a sprinkling of more coconut and cocoa nibs, Mmmmm.
Did I hear someone ask “what the heck is a cocoa nib?”, let me explain. Cocoa nibs are the cocoa bean ground up in medium to fine bits. You can get them roasted or raw and they are super healthy for you. The texture is crunchy and the flavor is very similar to dark chocolate with slighter bitter notes.
The best part? In 10 minutes I had these made and set to cool. After cooling, another 10 minutes for the drizzle and sprinkling of coconut and nibs.
This variation on a childhood favorite is amazing!
- 50 marshmallows
- 3½ Tbsp butter melted
- 6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 1 cup shredded unsweetened coconut (plus more for garnish)
- ½ cup raw cocoa nibs (plus more for garnish)
- ½ cup chocolate melted for garnishing.
- Butter and parchment an 8x8 pan. Set aside.
- In large bowl add the marshmallows to the melted butter, stir to coat evenly.
- Microwave marshmallow mixture for 1 min 30 seconds.
- Stir to combine the butter and marshmallows until marshmallows are completely melted.
- Pour in the Rice Krispies, coconut and cocoa nibs, mix well to combine.
- Pour into prepared pan. Press mixture down to make a solid square (use a piece of parchment for pressing if needed as mixture is sticky.)
- Let set until completely cooled.
- Once cooled, cut into squares. Drizzle with melted chocolate and sprinkle with coconut and cocoa nibs.
- Let set until chocolate is set.
- Keep in airtight container.