Chocolatey Fudge Cupcakes. Moist, fluffy, pillowy cupcakes in a swirl of fudge chocolate frosting. Decorated in fresh berries and crisp meringues.
After an indulgent holiday I have been on the straight and narrow eating path. Salads, smoothies, veggies, etc. I knew it would only be a matter of time before my cravings got the best of me lol. Originally I was craving citrus but just couldn’t get the recipe I had in mind to come out right and least not to my expectations. Thats when chocolate starting talking to me, yes it really does talk to me (coo coo, coo coo). Anyways I started going from light citrus thoughts to rich, creamy and decadent chocolatey fudge cupcake thoughts.
These Chocolatey Fudge Cupcakes are exactly what I was needing and if I had to guess what a lot of you have been needing to. These are so damn good I had to give the majority away because I would not stop eating them. Believe it or not I don’t want to completely blow all my cleaning eating works. I just needed a little something to keep me going and it came in the form of Chocolatey Fudge Cupcakes. You ever feel like that? If you can just have one indulgence you can continue with your healthy plan? Thats where I find myself this week.
But enough about me… These Chocolatey Fudge Cupcakes have a light crumb and are pillowy with a deep chocolate hue and flavor. The cupcake is then swirled in a rich, creamy swirl of chocolate frosting. The fresh berries (which are optional) add a wonderful freshness to the chocolate and the little meringue cookies are not only adorable but add a little crunch! Each bite literally melts in your mouth and any craving you may have has been completely satisfied!!
Whether you have cravings, need to indulge or are in the need of the next best Chocolatey Fudge Cupcakes. This recipe is it!
FORGOT TO PIN IT? Here it is! Thanks.
- ¾ cups + 2 Tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ cup +2 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt 1 egg
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ canola oil (vegetable oil will work to)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup boiling water.
- ½ cup butter
- ⅔ cup cocoa
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- ⅓ cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 egg whites
- ¾ cup sugar
- pinch cream of tarter
- ½ tsp vanilla
- food coloring of your choice, I used purple and green
- Fresh blackberries and raspberries
- Merignue kisses
- Melted chocolate for drizzling (about ½ cup)
- Gold sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake pan with liners (this recipe will make 20-24).
- In the bowl of mixer add in all the dry ingredients.
- Add the egg, oil, vanilla, milk, mix on medium speed 2 minutes.
- On medium speed slowly stream in the boiling water (batter will be thin/watery).
- Mix until fully combined scraping sides of bowl and mixing again as needed. Make sure you scrape bottom of bowl, sometimes batter sticks to it, you want to be sure all the ingredients are well mixed together.
- Pour into prepared cupcake pan(s).
- Bake 13-15 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let cool completely.
- Melt butter, add to bowl of mixer. Stir in cocoa. With mixer on low/med add the powdered sugar alternating with the milk.
- Add the vanilla, mix until combined.
- Preheat oven to 225 degrees F.
- Line baking sheet with parchment.
- In bowl of mixer with whisk attachment mix the egg whites until frothy. Add in the sugar 1 tsp at a time while mixing on medium. Add in the cream of tarter and vanilla
- Increase speed and mix until egg whites are glossy and hold a stiff peak (but not dry).
- Color as desired (optional). If using 2 colors you'll need 2 piping bags, etc.
- Fit pastry bag with desired tip and fill piping bag with meringue.
- Pipe onto parchment lined baking sheet.
- Place in oven, reduce temp to 200 degrees F.
- Bake 1½ hours (or until meringues are dry to the touch and release from the parchment easily).
- Cool completely. Store in cool, dry place.
- Put a generous dollop of frosting on each cupcake and swirl it around.
- Add berries and meringues.
- Repeat until all cupcakes are done.
- Drizzle them with melted chocolate.
- Add sprinkles