Apple and Horseradish Cheddar Grilled Cheese Sandwich. Sweet tart apples, melty, bitey horseradish cheddar cheese, arugula and crispy golden brown bread.
You may be thinking, “Did I come to the right place? Where’s the cake, cookies and pies?” I assure you you’re in the right place. I thought I would shake things up a bit and present to you my new favorite lunch, Apple and Horseradish Cheddar Grilled Cheese Sandwich.
I’m a huge lover of horseradish, I eat it on steak all the time and put so much in my cocktail sauce that its orange instead of red, not normal I know 😉 . So naturally when I saw it in cheese I flipped and in the midst of apple season it was just the perfect marriage of sweet, tart, bitey, cheesy, melty, toasty goodness to combat these cloudy, windy, rainy days.
Grilled cheese of any kind evokes a feeling of warmth and homeyness. That crunchy grilled golden bread and that warm melted cheese are like a cozy sweater for the soul. Add a little apple and now you’ve got slippers to 🙂 .
I hope you enjoy this Apple and Horseradish Cheddar Grilled Cheese Sandwich as much as I do.
FORGOT TO PIN IT? Here it is. Thanks!
- 4 slices white bread
- 8 thin slices of horseradish cheddar cheese
- 4 thin slices of apple
- 1 handful of arugula
- 4 Tbsp butter room temp (2 Tbsp for the pan, 2 Tbsp for the bread) more if needed
- 2 little pickles
- 2 skewers/toothpicks for the pickles
- Add 2 Tbsp butter to skillet or nonstick pan. Heat on medium until melted and starting to bubble.
- Using remaining 2 Tbsp of room temp butter, butter both sides of each slice of bread.
- Lay first 2 slices of bread in the pan.
- Start layering your ingredients, on each sandwich start with 2 slices cheese, apple slices, two remaining slices of cheese and then the arugula.
- Place top piece of bread on top.
- Continue to grill until golden brown.
- Carefully flip the sandwich over and grill on second side until golden brown.
- GARNISH (optional):
- Spear the pickles and poke into top of the sandwich.
- Serve immediately